Starting this Autumn 2021 term, AFT will be incorporating BigBlueButton into every course to supplement the Reading Response Forums, Writing Workshops, and Essay writing components. Students will meet before their deadlines to practice and discuss their writing activity for that week and get guidance and suggestions from Ms Christina directly on how to improve their writing skills!
What is BigBlueButton?
BigBlueButton is an interactive Whiteboard viewable online where both teachers and students can interact. AFT’s main purpose for incorporating this is to allow students the opportunity for personal one-on-one attention for the specific writing activities they will be asked week to week.
What functions does BigBlueButton offer? Is it like LiveBoard or Zoom?
BigBlueButtton is NOT like Zoom or Liveboard. There will be no videos but the board will be interactive and the students will receive live, verbal instructions and directions from Ms Christina throughout the session. Ms Christina MAY turn on her camera, if necessary, to share her screen. The students themselves can draw, type, or annotate on the BigBluebutton sessions, ask direct questions to Ms Christina about a particular activity, and practice their writing directly on the BigBlueButton with Ms Christina providing immediate revisions, suggestions, and explanations in real time.
Other functions that weren’t available previously:
- Students may now be able to download each recorded session on their devices for easier access.
- Students may now have a savable version of all student notes and chat logs (these will be available through online.academyforthinkers.org after each session).
- Students may download all pdf presentation files for reference.
- Student note functions are separate from the main white board, allowing students to work closely with the teacher before their submission is shared amongst the rest of the students.
- Share screen function from Ms Christina to demonstrate a particularly difficult writing component.