AFT’s purpose remains the same, online as well as in-person: to teach students how to think for themselves by giving them the tools to critically think and analyse by using literature and expository essays as their guide. While the online experience is vastly different, and requires students to be far more independent and accountable, learning online is possible if the courses are designed with the students in mind as well as the honest participation of the students.
AFT believes these courses can provide a bridge between the necessity of students’ educational development in these uncertain times.
Full term: 1 February – 30 May (16 Weeks) [Holiday Break: 28 March - 4 April]
Three different payment options with available discounts:
- Pay for the full term, get 10% off the total!
- Pay two half term payments (on 1 February and 5 April), get 5% off the total!
- Pay monthly, no discount.
Tuition discount rates are combinable with other discounts!
Plus a one-time registration fee of $30 (applicable on first time enrollment only)
Special Discount for Returning Students!
Any student who returns from the Autumn 2020 term will automatically get a 5% discount PER enrolled student as a special thank you for your patronage!
Sibling Discounts* 5%
*are only combinable with the Tuition discounts.
Learning Coach Sessions: These sessions focus specifically on how students can better manage their time, arrange their schedules, and choose the best strategies for how to do their work for AFT and beyond.
All students will get the opportunity to sign up for Learning Coach Sessions for free to assist students as they move into the new year. All subsequent sessions will be offered per week at $30.
Mentorship Sessions: Ms Charlotte will offer herself as a sounding board for students who are dealing with the emotional impact that isolation and online learning are having on students. She will not provide any therapeutic advice but will provide some guidance on how to make better lifestyle choices while dealing with these troubling times. Consider these sessions if your student has trouble expressing their ideas, feels unmotivated, or just generally needs someone to talk to: Ms Charlotte will provide a generous and respectful ear to those students in need.
All students will be offered one free session at any point in the term. Any repeated appointments will be charged at $30 per session.
Enrollment dates as 1 January 2021 - 8 February. The Deadline for enrollment is 8 February
What students will study
These courses asks three key questions, no matter what level:
- Critical Thinking:
- Why are certain elements in the story or essay so important?
- What is the author’s purpose?
- How can the students adequately express their thoughts while using the text material as their evidence?
New students will be asked to complete a timed placement test using the honor code and the assessment level will be emailed to parents after the tests and registration forms have been filled out and returned to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please email for more information.
The courses are presented through a blend of printed and online material. Students will have access to a website, which includes:
- A week-by-week study planner, with assignments. Due dates will be observed to ensure students’ regular participation.
- Printed and online textual materials.
- Level-appropriate activities designed specifically for each particular course.
- Interactive content: changeable for variety as well as practical application of lessons learned.
- An ongoing assessment guide, available to parents, students, and the teacher through individual portals.
- Access to online peer and teacher reviews and forums where students discuss topical subjects which are monitored by the teacher.
Students must purchase the required texts and they must be the versions stated — NO KINDLE OR ONLINE VERSIONS. Students will need to annotate physical texts to complete their assignments online and Kindles and html texts does not allow for this.
A computing device with a browser and broadband internet access is required for these courses. Any modern browser will be suitable for most computer activities. Functionality may be limited on mobile devices and/or ipads and therefore is not recommended.
Here are the basic requirements:
- A desktop or laptop computer with either an up-to-date version of Windows or macOS.
- The screen of the device must have a resolution of at least 1024 pixels horizontally and 768 pixels vertically.
Teaching and assessment
Support from the teacher
Students will have access to their teacher who will mark and comment on their written essays and will review their written assignments and provide feedback, and whom they can ask for advice and guidance. The teacher will designate specific office hours throughout the term, in which students can seek further assistance by phone, if needed.
Assessments will be provided through weekly check-in exams, coursework completion, and exit exams, which will be visible to students, parents, and the teacher.
While these courses were designed in the wake of the COVID-19 crisis, AFT plans to keep these courses as a permanent edition both for distance learning as well as supplemental courses for students who choose to get additional help in certain areas, such as vocabulary, reading comprehension, and rhetorical analysis.